Tuesday, August 30, 2011

halloween/second anniversary quilt - binding finished!

I'm on travel this week, and the co-worker I am traveling with LOVES to drive. Good for me, I can sit co-pilot and get a lot of hand-quilting and crocheting done! One of the things I was able to finish was the Halloween quilt for our second anniversary this year.


This was my first sampler quilt. I have to say I love the idea of different blocks, but the lack of uniformity in the quilting because of the different blocks drive this little OCD quilter a bit nuts...


I free-motioned (or at least, I tried to) the spiderwebs. The effect is pretty cool, but I wish I had worked a little harder to make it cleaner. I still have some practice at FMQ before I feel really comfortable with it.

First time with applique...

My favorite block...

Despite my original uncertainty about the hubs fabric choice, I find that I LOVE the way the fabrics came together, and I don't think the other options I was originally considering would have turned out quite as well.



The back.


Overall, I am pretty happy with this. There are definitely some minor errors (some of my blocks didn't turn out perfectly 9"x 9" and there are pinches on the back from trying to force the fabric tree flat...), but I think this is definitely a big step ahead with my quilting. And I am enjoying it more and more as time goes on, so bring on the next challenge! Now...how can I hide the neverending fabric purchases from the hubs...



;)

No comments:

Post a Comment