Friday, April 15, 2011

What's In a Name

Spotted this on Love&Lace and wanted to give it a try.

How did your parents decide on your name?
I think my dad picked my name...I know it was a relatively uncommon name for the year. I have a feeling they were trying to be different *:)* Good job, Dad...to this day I still get called 'Alexis' and 'Alex' more than I get 'Alexa'.

Do your initials (first/middle/last) spell anything funny?
Nope. But my brother and I had the same initials (before I got married of course). I don't think my mom realized until she was prepping our bottles for daycare one morning and put our initials on the bottle...AMQ. I do miss having the 'Q' in my name...kind of unique.

Did you take your middle name from childhood or did you drop your middle name and take your maiden name as your middle name?
Nope...I love my middle name. It's the only 'common' name I have!

Are you or will you name your children systematically? (i.e., same first letter, same origin, etc)
While tempting, I don't think I'd do that to my offspring. Too embarassing.

Did you decide on baby names as a little girl? Did you stick to them or change your mind?
I did that as a little girl, and as an adolescent, and a teenager, and I'm still doing it (well, at least its appropriate now). It's interesting to see how my baby names have 'evolved' as I grew older. When I was younger, I hated the fact that my name was different, so I coveted names like 'Jenny' and 'Sarah'. In high school I tried to fit in with whatever was popular, and names like 'Mackenzie' and 'Seth'. Now, I'm back to being different, I suppose, at least with girl names (I refuse to disclose my fav girl name - yes...a secret baby name) and more tradiitonal names for boys like Ben and Max. Either way - and I think most people will agree - names are FUN!

Does your family have any names that have been passed down through generations?
Yes, the men on my moms side always take the first name of their grandfather as their middle name...I kind of like that.

Do you look at the meaning of the name or just the name itself?
I look at both, but I don't think the meaning would deter me from choosing a name (unless it meant 'tyrant' or 'dishonest' or something).

Do you name pets with human names or pet names?
A little of both. I once had a cat named Julep, but my ferrets name is Joey. Whatever is cute and fits the critter, I say.

Are there any names that you have an affinity or dislike for based on a childhood experience/someone you once new?
Not necessarily. I know EVERY girl was named Jennifer when I was growing up, so I'd stay away from that, but that's probably it.

What are some of your favorite names and why?
*Hoarding the secret ones here* but I tend to like:
For a Girl - Sophia, Naudia, Adele,
For a Boy - Max, Ben, Sam

Yay for nameology!! (hehe...if you get that movie quote - good for you, child of generation Y:)

No comments:

Post a Comment